Some sites which claim to offer advice for example "fitting one branded product to the whole of the vehicle" is simply wasting you money as a car or vehicle has many sound sources which cause irritating noises, e.g wind noise, exhaust noise, cabin noise, road noise, tyre noise, engine noise, rain noise, stereo noise and outside noises to name a few. Each of these potentially irritating noises vary in frequency and the routes in which the sound enters the vehicle.
1) Plan you car soundproofing project. Planning your car soundproofing project is the starting point for your car soundproofing project. A basic plan will help you to estimate timings and soundproofing material requirements, saving you time and money.
Decide the areas of the vehicle which require soundproofing and the order which you plan to soundproof them. Consider the use of one soundproofing material covering multiple areas of the car and if the shapes can be nested together to reduce the amount of material required.
Research which car parts will need to removed and how to do this online. Roughly plan the time it will take to remove the parts. (allow for 15-30 minutes per area cutting and fitting car soundproofing materials)
Plan the tools you require to remove the panels of the vehicle. (for cutting and fitting the car soundproofing materials you will only need a sharp knife / scissors and a board or area to cut them)
Soundproofing - These soundproofing materials reduce the sound energy carried in airborne noise. Also known as automotive acoustic absorption material.
Sound Deadening - These sound deadening materials act as sound barriers and reduce the amount of noise passing through the material. Also known as automotive acoustic barrier materials.
These anti-vibration materials adhere to body panels and stop them acting as a reverberant speaker. When OEM's are constructing a vehicle which includes soundproofing, a panel dampening material is fitted which reduces the vibration of the vehicles body panels when they are excited by one of the many high energy sound sources caused when the vehicle is in use.
Click the link above to find suggestions of materials for different car interior soundproofing applications.
- Consider the roll width of the material when estimating the quantity you require.
- Consider the shape of the part you will create when fitting your car soundproofing, if the shape is rectangular or triangular could you nest this to reduce the amount of soundproofing material required?
- Consider if soundproofing material off cuts could be used for different areas of the vehicle?
- Once you have selected your required soundproofing materials check if you require any adhesive tapes to aid with the fitment of the products. (link below)